Note to PHO2008 & DIS2601

siology is a collection of thoughts, inspirations and creative processes which have contributed to my practice in first, second, and now third year studying photomedia and art.

Monday 5 March 2012

Home

I'm fascinated by the narrative we project onto an otherwise meaningless object (image), and would like to examine this human desire for sentiment and nostalgia. As a beginning, I considered the idea of house becoming home, and the way a physical and material space can become a place of emotional comfort - providing a feeling of belonging and safety. In a natural diversion toward my own experiences, I returned to the houses which became my homes as a child. We moved around a lot, sometimes not staying in one place for even a year. This prevented me ever becoming truly attached to a place, a house etc. and cut short the gradual process of connecting to space and object on a sentimental level. On a quick photo shoot I tried to capture this idea of the 'shell' of an architectural structure, often quite boxy and inorganic, never quite becoming a home. I hope to create a gap between myself and the buildings (strengthened by the photographic medium itself creating a gap between reality and two dimensional copy), a disjointed reality, a sort of broken sentimentality that is never quite fully formed.

the garden as a frame - cropping

The letterbox as a mimic home - an interesting symbol for fake sentimentality.

Claudia suggested that this autobiographical subject may be a little too close to heart to successfully create such a gap, as it will be muddled and subjective in my own mind and this may come through in my work. It is also difficult to extract architecture from its environmental context, so perhaps working with objects instead will provide more freedom for disjointedness and absurdity. However I do find the juxtaposition (I hate that word!) of organic and 'natural' garden and plant life creeping around and often framing these cold, boxy shells of houses interesting - could ba  possible diversion to explore later.

No comments:

Post a Comment