Note to PHO2008 & DIS2601

siology is a collection of thoughts, inspirations and creative processes which have contributed to my practice in first, second, and now third year studying photomedia and art.

Thursday 25 August 2011

Angela and Ithyle

I found this image by Angela and Ithyle after I'd taken my project 1 photos, but I love the way it plays with depth of field and the fogginess of memory. My photographs have been focused in reverse to this image, on the face in the background with the photograph and hand in front a little blurred, however not as obviously as here. Although I love this photograph, I think such a shallow depth of field would perhaps add another element of obvious 'symbolism' to my portraits which I had not intended. My primary themes are that of age and generation, whereas this technique also brings the authority of the photograph to question, which is not my intent (though i find it fascinating). Another, separate idea for a series could be images like that above, with childhood photographs, but not necesarily shot in the studio or within the same family group. This might make room for new themes about the photographic medium to come through. I love art which is self reflective, which comments on its own medium from within, and find this is very popular in photography and cinematography (for example La Jetee, below).

No comments:

Post a Comment