Note to PHO2008 & DIS2601

siology is a collection of thoughts, inspirations and creative processes which have contributed to my practice in first, second, and now third year studying photomedia and art.

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Marian Drew

These are just beautiful. I'm not a massive sucker for still life but the fragility in both the subject matter and photographic technique of Drew's work is hypnotising - and so much more than a straight shot. Her commentary on Australian colonisation is gentle, but clear - and the mood of these endearing images reminds me of illustrator Shaun Tan, who I also love to pieces.

 
You can see in the above image how Drew has used a still photograph as a background in the window - I like the idea of photographing a photograph and plan to do so in my photomedia Project 1, in a comment on generational relationships, age and memory. If I could capture even an inch of the softness in Drew's photographs, I think a certain nostalgia might coem of it and really aid my series.



No comments:

Post a Comment